Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Button fly trouser tutorial



I normally have a design in mind and then just experiment until it ends up looking like I imagined (which sometimes, it never does ;) You could probably call it freestyle sewing.

Online tutorials are a huge help to me and I am very thankful to the people who take the time to share their knowledge that way.

When Rae asked me to take part in 'Celebrate the Boy' I wanted to take it as an opportunity to repay the favour. I was also glad to escape the oh so popular dress-skirt-pink theme and make some boys clothes.

Button flies are just those kind of interesting details of simple designs I really like. You can add them to any simple trouser pattern.

Here is how to ( I hope it all makes sense):

1. Take a basic trouser pattern (like this one, for example) and mark the waistband and fly (don't forget to add seam allowance).
2. You'll need 2 pieces for the fly - the fold and the button placket.
3. Mark the fly on the trouser front.
4. Starting at the mark you made for the fly, sew together the two front parts (leaving some space at the end to sew the trouser legs together later on)

5. Sew on the fold, fold over and iron.
6. Top stitch along the mark.
7. Sew on button placket.
8. Fold over and iron.

9. Sew together trouser legs.
10. Attach waistband to trousers.
11. Sew button holes.
12. Top stitch along the centre seam of the trousers starting just above the bottom end of the fly (which holds the two parts of the fly together) Finally, sew on buttons.

25 comments:

Karen said...

like it!!

Miss Stik said...

Great! Perfect as always!

We Blog Artists said...

Looks amazing...now I just have to conquere sewing on my machine...a little scared!
HUGS
Char.x

boomie said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing...

Lili said...

It makes perfect sense! ;-) I like it very much. (another item on my list)

Sky said...

What a great tutorial! Love the drawing.

bombilla said...

Very nice!

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

thank you for this! My daughter is finally at an age where elastic waistband isn't always appropriate anymore. Was just about to try to figure out how to do a more 'grown-up' approach. This is very helpful!

de Oontand said...

wow, nice pants, perfect pattern.

Sabra said...

Oh, I love this! I love little details, and it's so hard to add them to boys' clothing without being feminine. This is really awesome. Thank you!

casserole said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial! I love the look of a button fly! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-how-to-make-a-button-fly/2011/02/23/

--Anne

Skrekk o Gru said...

Thanks a lot, I love it!!

Lili said...

Btw: you MADE it ;-)

Darcy said...

i want a pair for myself! I wish I could sew.

Polkadotjes said...

Wow wow wow.
What a nice detail and what a perfect sewing!
Love it.

Emily said...

I love these! Love the contrast lining and exposed buttons.

Jo said...

Very stylish - I want to make a pair for myself ;-)

Guusje said...

I love the buttons!

Cool pants!!

Mie said...

Just perfect!

Lepäävä Esteetikko said...

It is a very stylish button fly! Love the fabrics and buttons in the first picture. Collecting all my courage, will try in a couple of years... maybe.

Lily said...

They're so nice! I've saved your tutorial! Thanks a lot!

karmela said...

thank you so much! I have loved your button-fly pants when I saw them before, I can't wait to make them!

rahel said...

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. So far I never tried something like this and usually went for the easy way with an elastic band.

Angelia said...

Thank you So much for posting this!!! It was a BIG help in making pants for my son. We do civil war reenacting and these were my 2nd pair of pants I have made for him, they turned out so very well. I had many compliments on them. Your directions were easy to follow.

Dearbhail said...

Thanks! Your pictures make sense of the line drawings provided in the pattern I am working on!