Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer Dress

I've had a sketch of this dress on my 'to sew/try' list for ages. Every time I had the chance to start on it, it got pushed. It was just too daunting.

Finally, this weekend with one day to do as I please, I made a list of all the little obstacles standing between me and this summer dress and gave it a go: eliminating/moving darts on basic bodice pattern, creating a sleeve pattern, creating a new neckline, trying to put neckline facing on the outside, creating a pattern for a pleated skirt with pockets etc.

I love the dress, although part of me thinks I must be mad to have spent an entire free 34ºC Saturday inside sewing.

18 comments:

kristin said...

oh i love it! and actually, i just made a VERY similar dress for my 4 year old...my post is going up later this week. now you have my wheels turning to make one for myself!

Laliete said...

It's a beauty! Love the different colors.

Frambooske said...

I love it, especially the two colours for the neckline! I sew on beautiful days ;)

Rhiannon said...

Devine! I have a bunch of dresses waiting to be altered and I'm feeling inspired to do something a little more mis-matched and interesting with them now : )

Trula said...

@Kristin. Excellent. Cannot wait to see it. And do make one for yourself. I am sure it's going to be a piece of cake for you.

@Laliete - Thank you.

@Frambooske - I am not alone :)

@Rhiannon - Great. Looking forward to seeing them. Mismatched sounds good.

csr said...

lovely dress ! keep sewing. see you soon. o.o

Trula said...

@csr. Thank you. I think I won't be able to stop myself.

Jen said...

Love the floral and two color neckband! I think that sewing with the window open on nice days is the best time to sew, especially if there's a good breeze!

lazybliss said...

oh, that dress is wonderful, i really like it, specially the neckline and its colours, well done.

MANDY said...

So pretty, I love it !!!

Elina said...

So lovely! <3

Kaylovesvintage said...

love your summer dress ,so pretty

Caterina Pérez said...

me estoy poniendo al día con tus posts, y no sé que me gusta más, si el vestido o la camiseta de chico... :P Veo que estás cosiendo ropa de adulto... ole!!!

Alicia said...

es precioso!

Camila Faria said...

I was worth it, the dress is super pretty!

Tuia said...

I love the colours you used! Beautiful dress :)

Neus said...

Es precioso me encanta tanto la forma como la combinación de colores!
Well done! Feliz fin de agosto*

Erin said...

What a sweet dress on you! Love the contrasting colors )